This Chicken Soup is rich, creamy, full of flavour and paleo! Enjoy this warm meal on cold winter days this month.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, white and dark meat (see directions on how to cook chicken below)
- 2 tablespoons of ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g potatoes, roughly chopped
- 500g sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne, optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
To make the chicken:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Carefully add chicken pieces and any seasonings you’d like to the boiling water.
- After about 5 minutes, reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside. Once cool, remove chicken from bones.
- Save the broth – it’s liquid gold! (I normally strain before using)
To make the soup:
- Melt the ghee in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Next, add the roughly chopped potatoes and chicken broth to the pot. Bring the broth to a boil then cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop the potatoes into a blender. Add the coconut milk to the blender and puree. Set aside for now.
- Add the sweet potatoes and the carrots to the pan (the carrots and potatoes should be about the same size).
- Bring the broth to a boil, cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 9-10 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- Add the celery, peas, spices, cooked chicken and pureed potatoes to the pan and mix well.
- Raise the heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes.